by Veronica Nunez
August 15, 2020
I’ve been looking for a system to store my pin collection which would also make it easier to find specific pins for wearing. I found two tutorials on YouTube and made tweaks of my own to fit my needs. In the process of organizing my pins I found that a minor modification was useful for storing my buttons. I don’t actively collect buttons, but I receive so many from Comic-Cons and various events. I also have a collection of buttons from my time working at Disneyland.
As always, feel free to customize this system as you wish.
1 large 3-ring binder
Self-adhesive felt sheets
Cutting mat and rotary cutter or scissors
Option 1 Directions:
- Remove the adhesive from the back of the foam, and lay the foam on your clean work surface with the adhesive side facing up.
- Peel back the top one inch of the backing from the felt. (Working from on the short side is easiest.)
- Line up the edge sof the exposed section of the adhesive side of the felt to the adhesive side of the foam. Once they are attached, slide the rest of the backing paper off of the felt as you slide your other hand along the felt pressing it onto the foam.
- Once the felt is completely attached to the foam, use a cutting mat and rotary cutter to trim the sheet to the size you need. I needed my sheets to be approximately 8 inches by 10 and a half inches. Hint: Trim a small amount on each side rather than the entire amount at once. The sheets of felt are 9-inches by 11 inches and the foam was 9 inches by 12 inches. I cut the length to 11 inches, then the other edge to 10 and half inches. I cut one side of the short length from 9 inches to 8 and one half inches, then the other short side was cut down to 8 and one quarter inches.
- I found these page protectors which have a lip which folds over the top of the page.
- Insert the completed pages in the binder. I found this binder on the Staples.com website for a lot less than it was listed on Amazon.
Option 2 Directions:
- Follow all of the instructions above, but use two self-adhesive felt sheets attached to each other rather than one felt and one foam sheet.
You can see that the sheets with the two sheets of felt are not as thick or as firm which makes them perfect for storing buttons.